That was the month that was July
I know it takes a certain amount of determination to head out fishing in this weather but truthfully, when I look through the catch returns for July, the results and comments are perhaps surprisingly upbeat.
But that is where chalkstreams trump all other rivers. It is not the rain that fell yesterday or tomorrow that counts but rather that which falls in the critical four months of November to February. I know time blurs the memory, plus the brownness all around makes us forget that we had a super wet winter that ran to almost the last day of March.
I have read a great deal of nonsense about water temperatures in the past few weeks with clubs and associations suspending fishing for no other reason than ….. well, they can. The simple fact is that fish in rivers, aside from a few isolated cases, fare perfectly fine despite the weather adapting to the conditions by feeding early and late whilst keeping out of the worst of the sun. Wise anglers do the same!
Anyway, August beckons with a selection of “Small and Deadly!” from our vice master Nigel Nunn on the way to the July feedback winner Paul Tindall who fished Kanara on the River Itchen. |
No comments:
Post a Comment